Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Tired of Changes

  1. #11
    Inactive Member dornroeschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If the Chinese Yen is stronger than the Dollar then it's even more a reason that the price will go up so the company can make up for their loss in currency exchange. I know it's great to buy goods in the US because of the low dollar, however it's expensive for those in the US buying goods from countries where the currency is stronger. Yes, inflation has also been rising and all costs related - just think about the oil prices - no I won't give you a lesson that they are even higher here in Europe and that we have the giggles when we hear you complain how much you have to pay for gas. The raise in price wasn't as high as one expected a couple of months ago when there were the first rumours about the new prices. Wasn't it somewhere around $10 per doll?

    I don't have any problems by calling the historicals 'characaters' - as that's what they are. They come already with their very distinct and beautiful character, thanks to their stories/books.

    Haven't they always been referred to as "The American Girls Collection" on the AG Homepage? Wasn't the term 'historicals' just used here? Please enlighten me.

  2. #12
    rolloverrover
    Guest rolloverrover's Avatar

    Post

    Referring to the historicals as characters isn't offensive to me but it's just such a vague term. It's definitely a new term for AG to be calling this line of dolls. As far as the use of the word "historicals," it may be a Hostboard driven term although the AG web site asks girls to "discover their historical worlds" in reference to the historicals. Character is just too vague a term. The historicals deserve a better descriptive term.

  3. #13
    HB Forum Owner Kaileyfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2005
    Posts
    1,752
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am very upset about the price change. I have a question. When the dolls were made in Hungary why were they so cheap back then? Hungary made the dolls better. There hair was thicker, there bodies were made better, softer eye-lashes. They were only $68. Pleasant T. Rowland should have kept the company. She was a great boss of the company. I think she must be upset about the changes that Mattel is making. Alot of the new outfits they are making are alot of money.

    Now that the dolls are made in China they are being made differently. Harder eyelashes, differently made hair, more money for the dolls, they raised the price of the dolls like they don't make enough money with $84 for a doll. It isn't right. Felicity Merriman called up the company and asked if they had any Pre-Mattel Josefina wigs and the lady didn't even know what Pre-Mattel is. I hope whoever takes over the company after Mattel does a better job running this company then Mattel Does. Mattel is even calling the historical dolls Characters. The outfits are getting more and more modern looking too! I wish Mattel would stop making so many changes.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Why do prices have to go up?

    Think about what companies have to pay for health insurance for their employees now. My DH and I have had a business for 10 years. Our office rent has gone up about 20%, gas for our cars for our sales people has doubled, our health insurance has tripled. If our prices didn't go up, we would be out of business because we wouldn't make enough money to pay our expenses.

    Even though Mattel is saving some money by doing business with China, shipping costs and the fuel associated with shipping has gone up. Health insurance for their American employees has probably gone up significantly.

    AG hasn't raised their prices in many years. It is a sad and expected to me that the prices of AG will probably never decrease.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member auri's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2004
    Posts
    543
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    American Girl's price increases over a 19-year period have been very modest compared to other purchases you probably make. For instance, a movie ticket or a paperback book costs about double what it went for 19 years ago. By that standard, AG could be charging $130 and not be out of line. (Not that I'm suggesting they do that!)

  6. #16
    alleyflo
    Guest alleyflo's Avatar

    Question

    What is wrong with American Girl?! They are making me very nervous with these changes and because of that, who knows what they may retire next to make room for new items. Its not that I hate these changes - I like it. But changing logos, prices going up, historical books fading away... does anyone understand what I'm rambling on about? They just aren't they same classical company anymore.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member dornroeschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When did they produce the dolls in Hungary? I'm sure it's been quite few years.

    Even in Hungary time has changed. They too have inflation. Sure, some things are still cheaper there than for example in Austria, and hence many Austrians go there for shopping, dentists, wellness, etc. But if you compare what the same item cost 10 years ago or even just 5 years ago, it's gone up quite a bit and I don't think they'd be able to produce the dolls at the same rate they did in those days.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member Pat B's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2002
    Posts
    321
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Which of the historical books havw faded away ?

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Katie148's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    457
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    While of course I am not thrilled about the price increases, I have to agree with what many others have said - it's amazing that, with inflation and the rising costs of doing/making practically anything, that AG's prices have risen so little over the years. Think about it - if a doll was $68 back in 1986, that means the price has risen less than $20 over a period of almost twenty years. That's like saying the price of a doll has gone up one dollar every year since they were first made. Which, compared to price increases on a lot of other things, is not much of an increase at all. Plus, it was rumored here a few months ago that the price of a doll was going to go up to $100. I'm just thankful it didn't rise that much and we can still get a doll for under $90!

    As for calling the historical dolls "characters," I don't have a problem with that. I don't see why it diminishes the importance of the historical line. It's still called The American Girls Collection, isn't it? Personally, I think referring to the historical dolls as characters makes them seem more important than the AG Today dolls, because the AGT's are not characters - they don't have books and personalities the way the historical dolls do, and calling them characters helps distinguish that difference. I don't see why the word "character" makes them seem less important or diminishes the historical aspect of them - I don't believe AG has ever referred to them specifically with the phrase "historical dolls" in any of their catalogs the way we do anyway.

  10. #20
    *Marisol_Grace_Girl*
    Guest *Marisol_Grace_Girl*'s Avatar

    Exclamation

    I am tired of all these changes- none of them are for the better, either. Why do the historicals need to be called characters??
    Why did the prices go up when they should go down?? I am confused and wish AG would stop changing things!! The historicals are too modern now- and getting more modern by every change...
    I don't know how you guys feel about this...
    [img]frown.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •